How squad dog led cops to murder accused through traces of dust | Delhi News – DollarJob

How squad dog led cops to murder accused through traces of dust | Delhi News


In August 2017, a six-year-old boy went missing from his way home in Northeast Delhi. His father, a tea-shop owner, lodged a missing persons’ report with the Delhi Police, following which several teams were formed to trace the whereabouts of the accused.

The next afternoon, the minor’s body was found with strangulation marks inside a nursery situated a distance away. Medical examination revealed the boy was sodomised before being killed.

For almost a month, police had no clue about the possible perpetrator of the crime: Door-to-door searches were fruitless, and with the area from where the boy went missing being a black spot, there was no scope to scan CCTV footage either.

But after around three weeks, on September 1, one of the Labrador dogs of the Delhi Police’s K9 squad, 10-year-old Vinesh, was deployed along with the crime team of the Northeast district. The canine was taken to the spot of the crime, and later, coaxed to sniff the clothes the deceased boy was wearing at the time of the incident.

Said an officer, “After sniffing the dust off the victim’s clothes, Vinesh immediately took the police team to an under-construction site in the area where he started sniffing the security guard’s enclosure…”

Festive offer

The police team then questioned the site’s supervisor who told them that the guard, Ram Niwas, 40, had been missing since August 11 — the day of the incident.

Police personnel were sent to his hometown in Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh, to carry out raids at his possible hideouts. However, they later received a tip-off that he was in Delhi itself. Niwas was arrested near the cremation ground in Mandoli here.

During interrogation, Niwas told the police that he was friends with a relative of the victim and used to consume liquor with him at the construction site after their respective shifts. On August 11, when the construction work was shut throughout the day, Niwas again consumed liquor with his friend who left the spot around 8 pm.

“Around 8.15pm, the accused, who was in an inebriated state, saw the boy heading towards his house and called him over. He sodomised the minor boy and when the latter threatened to complain to his father, he strangled him and dumped him at a nursery around two kilometers away from the spot before fleeing,” AK Singla, then DCP (Northeast), had said.

Police had stated that Niwas had also been involved in a similar case in the past when in 2009, he had allegedly kidnapped and killed another six-year-old boy over a financial dispute with the latter’s family. He was subsequently arrested in the matter and was granted bail, added police.

In the present case, the matter is being heard and is in the stage of final arguments at the Karkardooma court. Niwas is in judicial custody.


Leave a Comment